Friday 5 October 2007

a lesson learnt

for the first time i know, offsetting my leave to leave earlier means no pay. i received my exit interview forms and letter on my resignation. 
 
on the letter, there is a sentence. "arrangement will be make to pay you your salary up to and including 17 oct." when i first got this, i didn't really pay attention to it. after a while, i read it carefully then i feel that something seems to be wrong with this sentence. this would means that i'm only paid for 1 - 17 oct, that's all. then what about my leave from 18 oct - 11 nov? not paid? i'm confuse. is my english so bad that i don't understand the sentence? 
 
i call hr to clarify, the executive confuse me further with her explanation. in the end, the hr manager call me to explain which is clearer and finally i understand. 
 
cos i wanted to leave earlier (17 days), i need to pay back company in cash for the days that i didn't serve notice. with my 17 annual leave, i can use these leave to offset the 17 days that i need to pay back. therefore, i'm not paid. i was actually quite shocked to hear that. but what she say is correct too, so i got nothing to say. then she told me, what i can do now is to get my boss to waive my notice then she will arrange to pay me for my leaves. 
 
so i went to talk to my boss and get him to waive my notice and he agreed. so now, i will be paid for my leave. with this resignation, i learnt something. offsetting leave with notice means no paid.

No comments:

Post a Comment